Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Wrote this a few weeks ago:

Freedom
As I stand here stoic and strong
looking down at the people below
I can see them going about to and fro
Living their lives to the fullest each day
Here I stand on a pillar so tall
Really hoping not to fall

As I look again I can see the faces:
Mom's and Dad's look up with joy to see their son standing so stoic and strong
The crown they adorned me with sits on top my head
"That's my son" my mom says as each person that passes,
with tears of joy filling up her eyes.
Telling anyone who will listen the story of how I got way up here.
I was sick as a kid and have had struggles galore
And now here I stand facing one more.

Now being the golden boy may sound fun
But all I really wish is that I could run.
See as I stand here looking down
The one thing that plays in my head "I hope I don't fall"
When anointed the golden boy as a child it's fun and games, but then the pillar starts to grow.
Each time you beat the odds it gets taller still.

Standing up here the air is thin
and this crown weighing heavily on my head.
But carry on I must,
cause I can't let the down.
Their pride and joy stand shining so bright.
But all I really want is just one night.
One single night full of adventures.
One magic moment where I find my prince charming.
One night where my crown grows dim and he gets to see the me within.
One night full of sheer unadulterated bliss
and it would end with one final kiss
But no here I stand stoic and strong
holding their hope that I won't fall
For temptations in life maybe sweet,
but they can lead to a bitter defeat.

For not only do I see the face of my family and friends,
But also the ones who would like my reign to end.
Those who are jealous of what I have, those who hate me just for who and what I am.
They crowd the base of my pillar watching for the slightest twinge.
They hope and dream that one day I'll fall
So maybe that wouldn't be so bad after all
Relinquish my crown
and hop on down
touching down on the ground, their feast will begin
So getting down wouldn't be wise.

So here I am all alone, no further up to
but no way down.
Then something catches my eye.
A bird so tiny it's difficult to see
But whose wings are mighty as can be
He floats and flitters around my face
Singing and squawking at quiet the pace
This only last a moment or less
Then he decides to take his leave
Just as quick as quick can be

As I watch him fly and soar
I finally know what I am wishing for
I want to take flight and leave this place.
Not go down and not give up
But freedom from the prying eyes
to be able to trip and not be mocked
To learn about life and not be locked
To feel truly free is just my wish
But I'm still here feeling so sad
Because I can't disappoint my mom and my dad.
So I shall remain here standing ever so tall
Keeping focused whilst still trying not to fall

No comments:

Post a Comment